Table of Contents
Being a new mum is an amazing, life-changing experience – filled with ups and downs. As a new mum, there are tons of questions swirling in your head, such as breastfeeding or bottle feeding? Not organic or Organic? The biggest challenge every mum has to go through is feeding. There are a lot of changes to get used to as well as potential issues that may arise.
Breast milk is a baby’s first food. However, some mums have problems with their breast milk supply. They may not be able to produce enough breast milk to meets the baby’s requirement. No worries! There are some natural and safe ways to improve your milk production; this is where lactation supplements come in!
Over the century’s, women have been using certain herbs to improve their breast milk production. Taking pills is not generally the best solution for problems, but when it comes it breast milk production, it can really help, although some of the best lactation products available come in the forms of tea bags, liquids or as a drink mix.
The Best Lactation Supplements Review
Lactation supplements won’t make your breast supply run like water from a faucet, but you will definitely notice the difference in your breast milk production. Remember always to consult your doctor before you try any new products.
There are different lactation supplements available, but they mainly contain fenugreek, fennel, Goat’s Rue, blessed thistle and some other ingredients. Here are some of the products that have been reviewed.
Pink Stork True Milk
True Milk produced by Pink Stork is a lactation supplement made with multiple organic ingredients; it not only improves breast milk supply but also enhances the taste of breast milk.
Pink Stork claims that True Milk contains more herbs than other lactation supplements. True Milk is a combination of fennel seed, milk thistle, fenugreek, blessed thistle, anise seed and goat’s rue. The recommended dosage is two capsules per day.
Pink Stork allows you to return products you don’t like even if they’ve been opened, they also male lactation teas.
- Soy Free
- No artificial preservatives and colours
- Brand: Pink Stork
- Model: True Milk, Total Lactation
- Quantity: 60 capsules per pack
- Pink Stork True Milk is free from most allergens which makes it good for almost everyone
- It is made in easy to swallow capsules
- Many mums have testified that this supplement increased their milk supply
- Makes breast milk taste better
- Improves the nutritional value of breast milk
- All capsules are vegetarian
- Contains all the important Galactagogues (milk boosters such as fenugreek)
- Comes with a warranty of up to 30 days even if the product has been opened
- It is a bit pricey; it is between the moderate to high price range
- It contains fenugreek which may cause digestive issues in some babies
Traditional Medicinals Mother’s Milk Tea
If you do not enjoy taking capsules or using a dropper, then you can try this lactation tea. It contains fennel, anise, lemongrass, blessed thistle, coriander and fenugreek, although the fennel and anise give it a liquorice aftertaste. The recommended dosage is three cups a day.
- Kosher, vegan
- No stevia
- Brand: Traditional Medicinals
- Model: Traditional Medicinals Mother’s Milk
- Quantity: Pack of six, with sixteen tea bags in each
- It has a low amount of fenugreek which is preferable for mums who don’t react well to it
- It has been tested and recommended by a lactation specialist
- The tea bags are compostable
- 77% of reviews say it works great
- The herbs used are medicinal grade
- It has a strong flavour which some may not like
Pure Mom Breastfeeding Supplement
Pure Mom’s Breastfeeding supplement is a herbal blend of organic ingredients such as milk thistle, fenugreek and fennel which aids increase in breast milk production. It is non-GMO, vegan and gluten-free. One bottle of this lactation supplement supplies you with 60 capsules for a 30-day supply.
- Brand: Pure Mom
- Model: Pure Mom Breastfeeding Supplement
- Quantity: 60 vegan capsules
- It is Organic, Gluten-free, Non-GMO and vegan
- 75% of its reviews are positive
- Contains 300mg of milk thistle, which aids lactation
- It is affordable
- The fenugreek may cause gastric issues in some babies
Benevolent Nourishment Lactation Support
Benevolent Nourishment Lactation Support is an organic fenugreek drop; it is free of fillers, alcohol and sugars. It is made with non-GMO ingredients which include anise seed, moringa, blessed thistle seed and goat’s rue. It has a pleasant taste and is certified by a lactation specialist.
- Gluten-free, soy-free, egg-free and nut-free
- GMP certified
- Brand: Benevolent Nourishment
- Model: Benevolent Nourishment Lactation Support
- Quantity: 2 fl oz (60 ml)
- It is organic
- Easily absorbed into the body
- Great for women who dislike swallowing pills
- 80% of its reviews are positive
- Contains no additives or fillers
- It is a bit more expensive than other products
- Can be gassy for some babies
Mommy Knows Best Goat’s Rue Lactation Supplement
Goat’s rue is a plant found in the middle east and is the next best in lactation supplements after fenugreek. It is greatly appreciated by women who are sensitive to fenugreek, and for those who don’t want a multi-ingredient blend. It is free of soy, gluten, eggs and nuts. The recommended dosage is one capsule four times a day.
- Gluten-free, soy-free, egg-free and nuts free
- GMP Certified
- Brand: Mommy Knows Best
- Model: Mommy Knows Best Goat’s Rue Lactation Supplement
- Quantity: 120 vegetarian capsules
- Free from fenugreek
- Free from most allergens
- 83% of its reviews are positive
- Positive results are seen in a short time
- Works well with lactose sensitive mums
- This product has a warranty of up to 30 days
- May cause hypoglycemia in women who take anti-diabetic medication
- Not organic; it contains other ingredients such as cellulose, vegetable magnesium stearate and silicon dioxide
- It contains only one Galactagogue
UpSpring Baby Milkflow Lactation Supplement Drink Mix
The UpSpring Baby Milkflow Lactation Supplement is made in powder form and can be mixed in hot or cold water. It helps you stay hydrated and also boost breast milk production. It is made from blessed thistle, anise and fenugreek with some other ingredients which include soy and dairy. It has been recommended by lactation consultants, and it also comes in different flavours.
- Brand: UpSpring Milkflow
- Model: UpSpring Baby Milkflow Lactation Supplement Drink Mix
- Quantity: 18 Packets
- NET WT: 9.5 oz (270g)
- It has a sweet taste
- Aids digestion
- It is natural
- It could cause digestion issues in some
WishGarden’s Milk Rich
If you hate pills then you can try this tincture, just add two or three drops to a bit of water for easy consumption. Lactation supplements in the form of tinctures are easier and faster for the body to absorb the supplements and use them immediately.
wishGarden’s Milk Rich is a combination of fennel seed, blessed thistle, fenugreek seed, nettle leaf and goat’s rue; it also contains raspberry leaf which is sometimes referred to as a galactagogue. If you need a lactation supplement that contains goat’s rue extract, then you can try this tincture but keep in mind that it also contains vegetable glycerin and organic, gluten-free alcohol.
- Gluten-free, Dairy-free
- Brand: WishGarden
- Model: WishGarden’s Milk Rich
- Quantity: 2 fluid oz. (60ml)
- It absorbs quickly
- Contains all major galactagogues
- It is easy to use
- Good for sensitive mums. It is non-GMO and gluten-free and dairy-free
- It is affordable
- Has a high success rate
- It contains a bit of alcohol
- It doesn’t have a pleasant taste
Motherlove Fenugreek Alcohol-Free Tincture
This tincture is made from plain fenugreek, so this is great for mums who want to try plain fenugreek but hate taking pills. Instead of using alcohol in its tincture, Motherlove uses a combination of vegetable glycerin and deionized water as the herb’s carrier. It is organic and is fast-absorbing, meaning mums can see results faster.
A bottle of Motherlove fenugreek should last roughly two weeks, and the recommended dosage is two droppers full.
- Brand: Motherlove
- Model: Motherlove Fenugreek
- Quantity: 2 FL oz. (59ml)
- It is alcohol-free
- It is organic and non-GMO
- It is vegan and environmentally friendly
- Easy to use
- 85% of its reviews are positive
- It doesn’t have a nice taste
- It is not appropriate for mums whose babies are sensitive to fenugreek
These supplemental drops are made with herbal ingredients that include fenugreek seed, anise seed, blessed thistle, turmeric, red raspberry leaf and fennel. It is fast-absorbing and shows positive results in a short time.
- Brand: Rejuvica Health
- Model: Natal Nourish
- Quantity: 48 servings (59ml/2oz)
- It has a nice taste
- It is easily absorbed
- Easy to use
- A great alternative for pills
- Due to the multiple ingredients, it will be difficult to discern which one works best for you or if you or your baby react to any.
The Honest Company’s Postnatal Lactation Plus
The Honest Company was founded by Jessica Alba and has long since been known for its transparency about what goes into its products. This lactation supplement is a blend of fenugreek, milk thistle, fennel, Shatavari and marshmallow root. It also discloses on its label the non-active ingredients such as rice bran, rice husk, vegetarian capsule and silicon dioxide. It has been reviewed by lactation consultants and doctors, and it shows positive results in boosting breast milk supply.
- Free of yeast, soy, wheat, dairy, eggs, shellfish, casein, sodium, starch and gelatin
- No artificial flavours, colours, preservatives and high fructose corn syrup
- Brand: The Honest Company
- Model: The Honest Company’s Postnatal Lactation Plus
- Quantity: 60 capsules
- It contains several of the major galactagogues needed to improve breast milk production
- It is USDA certified organic, non-GMO and free of major allergens which makes it perfect for picky mums
- Many mums have reported positive results after using this product
- It comes with a warranty, returns and adjustments are available for up to 365 days
- It may cause gastrointestinal distress in either mum or their babies or both
- It falls into the moderate to high price range
Best Naturals Fenugreek
If you like using a single ingredient lactation supplement, then you’ll probably like Best Naturals Fenugreek. This lactation supplement contains only fenugreek which is widely believed to be the most potent substance to improve breast milk production. Most mums who take fenugreek most times experience the famous maple syrup smell, but most don’t have an issue with it.
Best Naturals products go through rigorous testing; they test the raw materials before production, mid-production and post-production, Although they have no claims of being organic.
- GMP Certified
- No artificial colours, flavour and sweetener
- No starch, preservatives, sugar, corn, egg, lactose, wheat, yeast, fish and sodium
- Brand: Best Naturals
- Model: Best Naturals Fenugreek
- Quantity: 360 capsules
- It supports healthy blood sugar levels
- It has a pleasant smell
- Great for most mums. It is gluten-free and also free of most allergens
- It is affordable
- It has been proven to be effective for many mums
- The company has no claims about it being organic
- Not vegan. Gelatin capsules are used in packing the supplement
New Chapter Postnatal Vitamin and Lactation Supplement
New Chapter Postnatal Vitamin and Lactation formula are made to not only promote breast milk production but also provide postnatal support. It is made with organic ingredients such as kelp, oats and turmeric to keep the new mothers healthy. It also contains some probiotics.
- Brand: New Chapter
- Model: New Chapter Postnatal Vitamin and Lactation
- Quantity: 48 Vegetarian Tablets
- It is gentle on the stomach
- Contains probiotics
- Improves immunity and mood
- It is a three-in-one-formula, it keeps the mum healthy and also improves breast milk supply
- Could cause gas in some babies
Sweetbottom Naturals – Organic Moringa
These capsules are made from moringa and have been proven to boost breast milk production. There are no additives or preservatives, making it safe for both mum and baby. It is also an option for mums that are sensitive to fenugreek or didn’t see any positive results after using it because it does not contain fenugreek.
- Brand: Sweetbottom Naturals
- Model: Sweetbottom Naturals Organic Moringa
- Quantity: 120 capsules (500mg)
- It has a 30-day money-back guarantee
- It is great for mums that are sensitive to fenugreek
- 79% of its reviews are positive
- It contains no fillers
- It is free from major allergens
- It doesn’t include any other galactagogues (lactation boosting herbs)
Buying Guide Questions
Do lactation supplements work? When should you take them?
Lactation supplements work due to the herbs and vitamins they contain. These herbs and vitamins have been known to increase breast milk production. Herbs like fenugreek have been used by women for centuries. There hasn’t been much research done on them, but they are widely accepted because they have shown positive results over the years.
Most new mums worry about their milk supply, but it is important to know that mature milk production doesn’t occur until 30 to 40 hours after giving birth. It is advised to wait until your body has adjusted. If your body still hasn’t adjusted, then you can take lactation supplements only if you notice your breast milk supply is short and is insufficient for your baby or you want to increase your freezer stash for pumping mothers.
What is the best supplement to increase breast milk?
Fenugreek is the most used herb when it comes to increasing breast milk supply; it is usually the primary ingredient in most lactation teas and capsules. The best lactation supplement is Pink Stork True Milk; it is a blend of fenugreek, anise seed, fennel, two kinds of thistle and goat’s rue. It is 100% organic and great for vegetarians. Also, Upspring milkflow has some other great options to check out, best part is they are very affordable and easily findable online.
How can I increase my breast milk fast?
If you want to increase your breast milk supply fast, then you could try nursing on demand, massaging your breast milk nursing, rest more if none of that shows any positive results, then you can try getting a lactation supplement or tea or try making lactation cookies.
What can I take to increase my milk supply?
You can try adding Barley, fennel, fenugreek, oats, sunflower lecithin, soy lecithin, whole grains and papaya to your daily diet. If you see no improvements, then talk to your doctor about starting a lactation supplement. It is important to ensure you do not have plugged ducts as that could significantly restrict proper milk flow from your breasts and can be painful if not properly treated quickly.
What can I drink to produce more breast milk?
There are lactation supplements available in teas and drink mixes, either of these should help you boost your breast milk supply and quench your thirst.
What vitamin helps with breast milk production?
The vitamins and minerals that aid healthy breast milk production are Vitamin D, Calcium, Folic Acid and Iron which can be consumed in common healthy foods. They provide the baby with the necessary mineral’s vitamins through breast milk. Water-soluble vitamins like B Vitamins usually boost breast milk production.
When choosing a lactation supplement, always check with your lactation consultant or doctor, examine the ingredients and you can use test strips to check out what is in your breast milk, think about the price and decide how many pills you wouldn’t mind popping. But swallowing pills is not the only remedy you should take, also breastfeed regularly and make sure you get enough sleep and drink enough water.